Sunday, January 15, 2012

DIY Laundry and All-Purpose Spray

With all the laundry detergent and all-purpose cleaner recipes floating around pinterest, we knew we wanted to give it a try.  It takes about 10 minutes to make both and you'll be saving yourself some money in the process.

Some of the ingredients

There are a lot of different ways/recipes that you can make laundry detergent.  All the supplies can be bought at Walmart or your local grocery store. You may want to pick a up a few of the Fels bars, but the other ingredients will last awhile.  

This is the recipe that we use.

Laundry Detergent
1 bar Fels Naptha
1 C. Washing Soda 
1 C. Borax
1 C. Baking Soda
1 C. OxyClean (optional)
Unstoppables (see below)

I used my food processor to grate the Fels Naptha bar.  Combine all ingredients and wa-la, you're done.  I used the scoop that came in my OxyClean to scoop it.  It equals about 2 Tbs.  

Now I was a bit bothered that it had very little smell so I  bought some of the Downy Unstoppables.  I think they cost about $7, but I use about 1/4 to 1/3 of the bottle per batch of detergent.  It does to add a little bit more cost, but it was worth it me.


Next up...
All Purpose Cleaner.  I'm loving this stuff!!  I found this on Dr. Oz's website.  It has pretty much eliminated my use for another cleaner, but this.

All Purpose Cleaners
2 C. Water
1 TBS. Borax
3 TBS. Vinegar
1 TBS. Dish soap
a few drops of essential oils (I prefer peppermint)

I might make a few minor changes to this as I found another recipe that I want to try also.  Most likely I'll be combining the two somehow.  I'll let you know what I decide.

And there you have it, the finished product.

No comments:

Post a Comment